Coconut Lime Bars
Ingredients for the crust:
- 3/4 + 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup of sweetened coconut (toasted if desired)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 325° F (~160° C). Using a small piece of butter, grease an 8X8 baking pan. Sprinkle in the 2 tablespoons of flour and coat evenly. Pour out the excess flour.
In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup butter, coconut, sugar and salt. Mix well with your hands until it resembles a coarse meal. Pat into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
Ingredients for filling:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- zest of 2 limes
- 3/4 cup of lime juice
- 1/3 cup of sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
Reduce oven temperature to 300° F (~150° C). In a bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until smooth. Stir in flour, zest, and juice. Pour over crust and sprinkle toasted coconut over the top. Bake for 10 minutes or until set. Cool on a rack and chill for an hour before eating.